View Single Post
Old 03-27-2023, 01:46 PM   #8
jstanton

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
If I was limited to 93 octane I wouldn't even supercharge a stock internal LT1...especially on a stock fuel system. Upgrade to the LT4 fuel system and run at least some VP octanium booster then you can start to make a little power safely.

Tech talk: Then you have to pray that you didn't get a LT1 engine with really tight ring gaps. I have a local shop that took one apart and found ring gaps as tight as .006. The leaves little to no room for heat expansion. Some will argue that Hypereutectic pistons don't expand and oil squirters will help. That is all true on a NA application. Add 7-8psi of boost on 93 octane and the gap on those piston rings will tighten during a long pull. If they tighten to the point where the ends butt, the piston with break. #7 is the common failure because it tends to run hotter.

More Tech talk: Stock vs stock the older gen 4 LS3 will go further than a LT1 on boost because majority of those engines have at least .015 of ring gap. It does have similar material hyper pistons but overall, the LS3 has a weaker rotating assembly and those engines handle 850whp all day on boost. The reason being is because it's lower compression and has wider ring gaps.

Don't want to offend, but upgrading to a ZL1 sounds like a better option for you based on the fact that you are worried about ease of returning to stock, limiting yourself to 93 octane, and wanting an easy power upgrade. Nothing gets easier than trading up to a ZL1 if the budget allows. Yes it's a bit more money but it's also going to be far more reliable on 93 octane.
Thank you for the advise King and you definitely didn't offend, that's why I posted the question because I wasn't sure if I was headed down the right path.

Unfortunately a ZL1 is not in the budget right now. I found this car for a great price and couldn't pass it up.

If I could run an ethanol fuel like E40 or E50 would that change your opinion on the subject?
jstanton is offline   Reply With Quote