View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 11:21 PM   #247
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
....exactly. That's the press info, but....heres my question. How is the adjustablity accomplished and by whom? Sometimes the obvious flies right past me and over my head....<a bit daft perhaps I am???> GM pre-calibrates the DSSV dampers, and there is no adjustabilty by the owner I take it? Thank you once again for all your support and information, your are truely a foremost asset for us Camaro enthusiaists!
GM engineers pick the valve rates. The damper is built. You have zero ability to change anything. The DSSV design allows a greater range of tuning between the high speed and low speed circuits.

Low-Speed Control

Low-speed shock movement is defined as shaft speeds that are between 1 to 10 inches of movement per second. These lower speeds are mostly associated with suspension movement caused by chassis roll and possibly chassis dive at turn entry where the sudden loss of speed is moderate. The low-speed control dictates much of the handling side of the shock design and racetrack performance gains related solely to chassis balance and weight redistribution.

Each shock has a piston mounted on the end of the shaft, and one or more small holes in the piston allow fluid inside of the shock to flow from one side of the piston to the other. The size of the "bleed" holes regulate how quickly the fluid will flow back and forth, and that is how the different levels of resistance are created for low-speed control. All low-speed adjustments on shocks built with that adjustment capability work by changing the size of the bleed opening to control the amount of flow.

High-speed Control

As we experience the greater velocities of shaft movement, we go into what is called high-speed control with shaft velocities from 10 to 25 inches of movement per second. The types of suspension movement that cause the higher shaft speeds in our shocks are: 1. bumps or holes in the racing surface (creating very high shaft speeds); 2. the driver stabbing the brakes on entry and hard on the throttle on exit; or 3. a sudden change in banking angle such as transitioning from banking onto the apron of the racetrack.

The piston mounted to the end of the shaft also contains a valving mechanism that allows the fluid to flow through slots designed into the piston. These valves consist of disks that open as the pressure increases due to more rapid shaft movement in either compression or rebound. These disks are used to control the damping rate associated with higher shaft speeds.

Shock Absorber Tech from Circle Track Magazine

The tech is cool, but not a game changer, IMO.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote