View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3

With the MG done and looking better, Ryan and I split up briefly to work on different projects: The Super Mustang and the Austin Healey 100.

The 1967 ‘Super’ Mustang

This is the fastest factory Mustang ever built by Ford, and you probably never heard of it. Why? Because it was a semi-failed attempt for factories to enter Top Fuel racing and this the only one ever built. It only made one official pass at Pomona, in 1967, before the program was canceled. Sitting still in the engine bay is the factory built 427 SOCH Ford big block which is guesstimated at 1900 nitro methane burning horsepower.

In reality I started this Stang on day one, wet sanding numerous areas with Meguiar’s 1500 then 2500 Unigrit sandpaper and cutting the paint with Menzerna PO34sa Power Gloss Compound on a Lake Country Purple Foamed Wool Pad or 4 ply Twisted Wool pad. Follow up polishing consisted of Menzerna PO83q Super Intensive Polish either a 6.5 Inch Hi-Gloss White Polishing or Orange Power Polishing pad.

Rory got a start on the wheels using Blackfire Heavy Cut Aluminum Cut Compound, then Blackfire Fine Cut Aluminum Compound, and finally Blackfire Wet Diamond Aluminum Show Polish using various Blackfire Compounding pads on a rotary and different cloth pads on an air polisher. A layer of Blackfire Wet Diamond All Metal Sealant finished off the brilliant transformation.

The 427 SOHC Nitro motor was giving a gentle bath. I took pictures because of how cool it is… I mean if this engine was sitting in front of you, wouldn’t you take pictures?

The original PTE canopy had faded badly. I sanded it down with Meguiar’s 1500 grit and Rory took over with an pneumatic DA. Rory my marks out and created a perfectly uniform finish using both 3000 and 4000 grit papers. Clarity was restored with Meguiar’s M105 Ultra Cut Compound with a Lake Country Purple Foamed Wool pad on a rotary and finished with Meguiar’s M205 Ultra Finishing Polish on a 7.5 Inch Hi-Gloss White Polishing pad, also on a rotary.

The day was growing long; Ryan took a break from his project to help me polish out the black behind of the Super Mustang.

Speaking of Rydawg and his project, he was knees deep into an original paint 1955 Austin Healy 100. My biggest disappointment and failure on this trip was neither Ryan nor I getting any ‘after’ photo’s of this car (as well as no real be fore’s either). The transformation on this original paint rocket was stunning!

The 1955 Austin Healey 1000

Nearly 100% factory original and still wearing mostly original paint, this arrow straight Austin Healey was and is exceptional. A true survivor. There was only about 3.5 mils of original paint remaining and there would be less then 3.2 mils when all was said in done.

Condition wise Ryan joked that it was a -7 or in alphanumerics an F-, and with thin spots and a couple of burns, the best it could be was a five. With a lot of work, I would say the finish exceeded a 7. I promise I will get more photos of this car when I return to Hanger 53. Ryan put his heart and soul into this one.

Here are a couple of the far too little before pictures.

Geoff and the crew removed all budging and trim. The paint was dull, lifeless, and scratched.

With Meguiar’s M105, and a Hi-Gloss Orange Power pad on a Porter Cable, Ryan began the battle with the Austin Healey that would last well into the next day and require reinforcements.

Menzerna PO203s Power Finish, a rotary, and a 6.5 Inch Hi-Gloss White Polishing pad was Ryan’s choice for battle against the sharp edges of the trunk and hood.

With the clock wrapping past 10:30 PM we called it a night. The Super Mustang requiring only the belly to be polished; the tired Austin still needed work.

Day Three: Exodus and the All-Nighter.

After a fair night’s sleep, we awoke to small little flakes of snow falling to the Earth. Nice I though, longing for some flip flops, some sand, sun, and waves…. The temperature dropped noticeably between the ride from our hotel to Hanger 53, and it’s going to get worse.

“There is a storm coming in, we need to move some cars over,” Mr. X says as we enter the hanger in sunlight but falling temperatures. Three minutes later we are in the second hanger, opening the door and getting ready to wheel in our next series of projects, when it happened…

The original paint Shelby 427 Cobra, the first to be moved, was half way to Area 53 and then….

The temperature dropped so quick I felt my coffee get cold to my lips; when I looked up the sky was dark and snow was failing. The entire crew hoped into gear! He had some original paint cars coming out in the cold and they needed to be moved fast.

We moved the 1969 Boss Mustang outside to make room and violent 40 mph winds tried to bury it in a blanket of soon. Mike grabbed a shovel and we got to work.

Judging by the fingers mysteriously extended from each hand I am guessing Ryan and Mike don’t like pushing the Boss while I snap photographs. Hmmm… what’s their problem?

Even a one of one coach built Bentley couldn’t escape the snow…

Nor did the MG TD Mark-II we just polished…

But hey! There is Mr.X having a grand ole’ time in the Abarth, driving it through the snow!

Not! (how original), the crew was really pushing him. Fooled you like an answering machine in 1988.

I didn’t know you could sweat in below zero temperatures but you can. Ninety minutes later the Exodus was over, Hanger 53’s various doors where shut, and storm outside grew fiercer.

Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote