View Single Post
Old 10-01-2008, 10:54 AM   #23
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimC33 View Post
Theres nothing wrong with going with what the owner's manual says to do. Thats perfectly fine. But to be honest, I bought a BMW 135i about 3 months ago and this same topic came out about break in periods. Well the owner's manual was a suggestion but more and more people agreed that they wouldn't like to do it this way. The owner's manual is just a "recommended" break in for the car. Those who have posted their opinions on what they think is the best way can come from many other sources. In theory, in a new engine there is this "unlocked" power in it. Meaning someone may get more hp out of their engine if they have a different break in period. Which IMO is true. I'll see if I can find the thread on the 135i site I use, but alot people came out with different numbers in their engines after break in. It may or may not have been due to their style of break in, but who knows?
There is strong evidence that suggests that wear causes an engine to lose power. There is also strong evidence that different break-in techniques may prevent said wear. Therefore, we can conclude that a specific type of break-in may improve the life of an engine. The one that I posted has been tested, showing better piston ring seals. That reduces pressure and improves piston life.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote