View Single Post
Old 08-03-2011, 10:06 PM   #1
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
9" kit vs driveshaft and axles?

I'm approaching that rwhp range where I think I need to consider beefing up my drive train. I've done a bunch of reading on this topic, so please don't give me the "search is your friend" line. But, when I ask questions, I'm never quite sure when someone is trying to sell me something I don't need (overkill for my car) OR whether I am being safe and prudent with my choices. So, I need some help deciding on this from you kind smart folks who actually drive Camaros and aren't necessarily trying to sell me something.

Here is where I'm at:
L99 (LS3 conversion) very close to 600 rwhp with a maggie (3.4" pulley), cam, stall, and headers.
suspension - differential and cradle bushings, coilovers, railing arms, sway bars, etc.
(A complete list of mods is in the first post of my build thread - just click on my sig).

I use my car mostly for street driving, but I plan to drag race it occasionally and perhaps try autocross. I just put some drag radials (Nitto 555-R) on it this week.

Now, I'm trying to decide if I should install a drive shaft and axles OR get a 9" kit with pumpkin.
(Or should I leave it as is and wait for something to break before doing anything else?)

I've heard good and bad things about a 9" kit. Some say it's a good idea, but others say it's overkill for my rwhp and it would rob power. So, perhaps new axles and a driveshaft might be a better use of funds.

I'm posting this because I'm hoping those of you who know more about 9" kits, axles, and driveshafts will be able to shed some light based on your experiences.

I've heard that one piece driveshafts can add vibration. Is that your experience?

I don't have unlimited funds, but I want to try to avoid obvious problem areas and I want to learn about this.

Thanks for any and all helpful suggestions and info.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote