View Single Post
Old 08-11-2009, 06:08 PM   #12
NotAnInsider

Drives: just sold it. Feet!
Okay, let me add my 2 ¢ here. You're almost right. Where you went wrong is by stating that a dealer starts off with 24 allocations. They start with zero. I would have attacked it from a different angle:

-You place an order at a dealer and the dealer tells you that you're the 19th order. At this point an educated dealer would tell you that when your order moves from "Preliminary" to "Placed" in the Order Workbench system depends on allocation. Dealers are given weekly allocation (they are alloted a certain number of Camaros every week). There is no such thing as allocation slots per se.

-So if you're sitting at 19 in the dealer's preliminary order list and someone cancels, you move to 18 in the preliminary list. Your order still won't move until GM grants allocation to the dealer.

-As allocation is granted (so far it has been typically 1-2 per week for average volume dealers), orders move to "Placed". Where you said "They just took #8" the more accurate thing to say would be "I've gotten allocation to cover as far as number 8 on my list". Meaning you now have 9 orders ahead of yours awaiting allocation.

-someone else cancels and you move up to having 8 people in front of you....etc.

The bottom line is this: Your order sits in Preliminary and doesn't get to Placed (in GM terms) until the dealer is granted enough allocation to cover what is in front of you. It is IMPOSSIBLE for a dealer to say "I have 24 camaros allocated". They can forecast ahead for a month and see how many they're going to get, but thats it.

Please feel free to ask questions if there's anything I haven't covered. I basically said the same thing as the OP but in the proper terms. The biggest Camaro5 issue appears to be folks learning improper terminology here (or learning to improperly use the terms) and then getting mad at the dealers when it all doesn't match up or make sense.
NotAnInsider is offline   Reply With Quote