View Single Post
Old 11-09-2009, 03:02 PM   #6
returnofcc
Account Suspended

Drives: 2008 VW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIcky View Post
LOL I'd take bets...ZR1?

For the record, there is nothing inherently great about aluminum body panels. They're harder to repair and easier to damage unless you make them thicker-which negates the weight advantage. I don't have anything against aluminum either, but when I hear something is made out of aluminum- I shrug and feel pity for the poor body guy if something goes wrong. If you've ever done time in a body shop, you'd understand.
Yes, that was the car I was talking about. And I don't think that the aluminum body panels on the porsche are easier to damage than the body panels on the zr1. If you have proof to back that up, I would like to see it.
And I wasn't talking in performance terms either. As dragoneye and you both pointed out, aluminum is heavier. Not everything about a Porsche has to be built with performance in mind. It's about build quality. I know if I paid 100k for a car, I would be disappointed to find out that the entire body is made of plastic. That's precisely why Porsche is what they are. They aren't solely dedicated to performance, even though they excel in that also...
returnofcc is offline   Reply With Quote