View Single Post
Old 07-27-2013, 01:43 AM   #5
kansjfr

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
In order to do it LEGALLY, you have to get the title signed over to you, get a new title in your name, pay all of the sales taxes, tags, transfer fees, property taxes (if applicable), wait for the state to issue you a new title, get it insured in your name (the state won't issue you a title without proof of insurance) then sell it and transfer the title to your buyer. The transaction fees sometimes eat up whatever profit you might make. Some people who do this regularly just have the seller sign the title and leave the buyer's name blank, and put the new buyer's name in when they sell it. That's called an open title, the practice is called jumping title (because the seller has jumped the interim buyer, and it's illegal in virtually all states, but if no one finds out, what the heck? Big problems arise when there's a later dispute between the new buyer and interim buyer, and it comes to light that the interim buyer didn't follow the law. I'm sure this is probably more than you want to know, but I'm a lawyer and can't help myself. Oh, yeah, I also have a dealer's license.
kansjfr is offline   Reply With Quote