View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 03:03 AM   #54
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I misspoke....they can adjust independently...but the pins don't move, based on what I've read.

When I said "independantly"...I was thinking of a full 360deg rotation relative to each other, which just isn't possible.

What I meant to say was, if the pins disengage, then there's no control over the cam lobes, since the pins travel THROUGH the outer shaft and connect to the inner shaft. Normal operation will see continuous adjustments, which is done by the cam phaser that attaches to and controls both the inner and outer camshafts separately.

I'm not sure what you mean by "master pin" versus a normal pin...

Anyways,

Check out this video from Mahle (the manufacturer of the Viper's CaminCam system), it's a FANTASTIC animation of the assembly and operation of this component.

Ah, Ok, I see now, those "Master pins" (what I call them) connect the inner and outer tubes together. The holes in the outer tube allow the intake lobes to adjust independently. I was under the impression that the pins would disengage to allow the cams to operate independently, almost like VTEC in which the second cam becomes active at a certain point. I would love to see the phaser operation, it looks like there would have to be a two in one phaser design. I still remember reading about the pins disengaging but that might be a different design or I might be seeing things.

Anyway, great video... I suggest everybody who is interested in the Gen V engines watch it.

Edit: This video needs to be posted towards the front of the thread...
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote