View Single Post
Old 04-12-2011, 12:52 PM   #29
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Valve sizes: you don't build a 4.00" bore engine with 2.20"/1.60"+ valves..."shrouding" happens. Take a look at LS1/LS6 engines: smallish bore = smallish valves. Pretty much max'd @ 2.05".
Quote:

Valve sizes, alone, do NOT correlate to greater revs. In fact, a smaller valve weighs less, and theoretically can be rev'd higher... That's part of the reason that a 4-valve engine revs higher than an equivalent 2-valve.
With a 4 inch bore, you would still have some room for a 3.80 combined valve radius, it would be tight but it could happen. The LS7 has a 4.125 bore and a combined valve radius of 3.81, as that is a tight squeeze, valve angle could help in that situation. Although larger valves do slow down the valvetrain and limit RPM, there is a substantial trade off here. 2 valve engines are limited by their total valve area by design. Large intake valves are a requirement if high RPM's are desired. Limiting the intake valves size will start a chain reaction of events, all of which are parasitic losses and inefficiency. If an OHV engine wants to breathe above 7000rpm. All the high rise intakes and head design in the world will be stopped dead at the choke point (intake valve). We will have to wait to see this "new combustion design" GM is working on to really say what’s going to happen. This also would solidify my squared bore and stroke option. I would like to see a bore and stroke between 3.80 and 3.90 but this would naturally see the valve size decrease unless major angles were used on the valves (I would like to keep them similar to the LS7).
Quote:
Well, you tried. I really have learned a lot from your thread, it's just that the average enthusiast,(like me), don't have a real understanding of how all of the basic parts of an internal combustion engine work. Some of this stuff is over my head,(for now), but is still a great read. Thanks for sharing. I hope you're just not a really smart Mustang fan trying to throw us all off, cause right now I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
The Cam in Cam design is new to me, this is why I naturally pick at the people I know and do quick diagram concepts of operation. I won't sneak around and try to throw Camaro guys off... I am usually very direct but I have to be on my best behavior for awhile so I can gain access to the ZL1 section again. I started this thread as a workshop for me. Sometimes you will see me post something and then correct myself in the very next post. I like to leave the mistakes up so I can go back to my original idea if I can't think any further. I can also link this directly to some of my helpers and they can trace my steps. Anyway, thanks for reading...

Quote:
I agree this is the motor we want in the Z28, but sadly I just don’t see it making it into the Camaro until 2014 and in the new alpha platform.
It depends on where GM is at in development, If the 2012 C7 Corvette is going to be using the Gen V, then it isn't crazy to think that a 2013 Camaro could carry one. I simultaneous release in both the Corvette and the Camaro would tell me that GM is ready to over step the Corvette or at least meet it evenly with their sport coupe entry. This would also let the Camaro fans know that the Camaro is no longer a solid second.

Last edited by thePill; 04-12-2011 at 01:07 PM.
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote