View Single Post
Old 07-23-2008, 04:16 PM   #250
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
Mileage Ratings

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
First, Thanks to all of the folks at GM for doing such a great job on the Camaro. I want to respond to some of the comments on weight. There is essentially no way to build this car significantly lighter at a reasonable cost given the safety restrictions. I would point to the BMW M3 as an example. BMW spent a great deal of time and money to reduce weight on the M3 and they came up with a 3700+ pound car. Every manufactuer has battled the weight problem that has become a symptom of the additional demands of consumers for things such as power windows etc and the governments demands for safety. Spend some time looking at the weight of other cars in the class and you will discover that GM is in the mid range for the most part. We would all love a car that weighs 400 lbs less but if GM was able to do this many of us would not be able to afford it.

As far as gas mileage Fbodfather points out that the calculations have changed for MPG so lets all wait and see some real world results before we get too excited.

I would suggest you go to www.fueleconomy.gov and check out the old and new fuel economy ratings for the last Generation of Camaros. It isn't that difficult. That should give you a pretty fair comparison as to how the new figures are calculated versus the old method.

Geez, all this whining about weight, performance, colors, and no one has seen a proper road test, vehicle in person, or all of the final details.

Good heavens Fbodfather, I don't know how you can remain as calm as you have during all of this.
greenrail is offline   Reply With Quote