View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 10:32 PM   #1
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
My QA1 coilover install

Sorry if this is a re-post or if there are those out there that think this basic enough that it doesn’t need to be posted but when I was searching around trying to see what was involved or any tips/tricks about QA1 installation I couldn’t find anything. So, I figure if I had the questions or wants to see some info there has to be someone else out there in the same boat.

The installation of the QA1 is pretty straight forward. However if you’ve never done it before then maybe this will help. For me pictures are worth 1000 words. I will say I wish I would’ve take more pictures but in moment I was pretty focused on the install.

Tip #1 – (A MUST DO!) Purchase and use the QA1 Thrust bearings (http://www.qa1.net/qa1_motorsports/d...-wrenches.html). Take it from me who thought they wouldn’t really be necessary. They are! The ability to adjust your height with or without them is like night and day. I tried without them and ended up doing the job all over again to install them. I’m actually really surprised QA1 doesn’t just supply them and charge $20 more for their setup. I ended up buying the kit with their spanner wrenches because the wrench I had was short and didn’t fit as well. The ones from QA1 fit right, are thin, and have a long handle for leverage.

Tip #2 – make sure to get some anti-seize from your local parts store to put on the threads of the shock. This is listed in their instructions and even says something about voiding the warranty if you don’t use any. However what they don’t list is that it needs to be fairly thick. You really shouldn’t use spray on Lithium grease. It’s not thick enough. Again, this is one of those things where I don’t understand why QA1 doesn’t supply a little packet with each shock. I paid something like $2.50 for a whole tube or I could’ve got a small packet for about $1.50. That’s retail prices. Why not just put a small packet with the shock and charge $5 more for the set.

Tip #3 – put anti-seize on all the shock threads. Then lower the spring perch way down low. This will allow you to install them pretty easy. By having the spring go down as far as it can on the shock, you can then get the top shock mount to go through the frame pretty easy. Once you have them bolted up and before you put back you’re tie rod you can easily adjust them (especially because you installed the Thrust bearings like mentioned in tip #1).

Tip #4 – Make sure to pull the top mounting shaft out of the shock. I had to put the nut on the end to have something to grab onto. They are stiff so don’t be afraid to pull on them. Once you pull them out they will remain out.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote