View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 09:40 PM   #9
Blakk11SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Hey SPARTAN sui, I'm sorry to hear you've got the same problem. This really cold weather is doing a job on the hoses and such, that -27 is Crazy-cold over there in ND! It's too bad these exposed hoses are not insulated in some way, and we still have a while of winter left.

I lost a considerable amount of power steering fluid last week but was able to drive on it and still had some steering function. What I heard is that it's so cold that the power steering fluid has jelled up to a thick viscosity and cannot flow. Maybe when it warms up by Saturday, it will be ok again, but if you are seeing a lot on the ground, it might be safer to get it towed as you might damage the pump if the pressure is lost from the system.

I took my car in last Monday, it was about an hour & 1/2 job for the install of a new hose and refill of the PS fluid. I was out this evening driving and it is about -5 below air temp now and way colder going down the road at 60mph, so I hope the repair holds, the mechanic stated they put in the cold climate fluid per the TSB I brought to their attention.

I guess I will find out in the morning when its -20 outside and I start the Camaro up and back down the driveway. I'll let you know how it goes, and let us know how your service visit works out too. BTW, the hose part had to be ordered from GM Parts and that took 2 days.