Thread: My V6 Turbo
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2009, 02:57 PM   #25
Kakashi

Drives: Camaro SS 2010 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA FAST View Post
Mohrg I had a question to ask you, how much do all these mods cost? I am no expert but I can imagine this Turbo mod must run between $3.5k-$5k and probably more with installation. At these prices why would someone chose a Turbo V6 over a V8? Please don't take this as a criticism I am just curious whats the advantage?
I'm not Mohrg, but as far as advantages I guess I could mention a few

Lower insurance
While driving normally, it will still consume less gas (better MPG) than the V8
He will end up with more HP and TQ than the *stock* V8 (this part is up the company to achieve, but those are the plans at least)
The difference between the cheapest V6 (LS) to the cheapest V8 (1SS) is from ~22k to ~31K, that's ~9K
Turbo V6's *can* run with the big dogs contrary to popular belief (i.e., GNX, Supra, Skyline just to mention a few)
Lower weight
Some people take pleasure in being the underdog, or at least letting other people think they are the underdog
To be different
If you are going for full racer, why not? When you buy the SS you are paying for a bigger motor, bigger brakes (although they stop the car in the same distance), stronger transmission and suspension. But if you plan on upgrading the suspension, brakes and the transmission (or going beyond the specs of the V8 transmission) anyway, then why pay for them in the first place? Buy the cheaper version, and upgrade the components and save on the long run.

I'm sure there are more, but those are the few I could think about at the moment.

p.s. Morgh, good luck and don't let a few people spoil your fun. Some of us still welcome your experiences in this project you are undertaking. These things take time. You will be one of the pioneers for the turbo V6 community

p.s.s. I'm aware that "nobody" seems to be able to tune the computer system on the V6 at this time (besides GM i mean ); maybe the plan on going with a piggyback system?