View Single Post
Old 09-12-2012, 08:58 AM   #16
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozer View Post
I agree with you on CG-lock, but I don't get your point with the HUD. The whole idea behind HUD is to reduce distraction, not increase, and I can always check my speed on HUD driving at the track with my Corvette, while the real gauges are too far down below for me to look especially in corners and braking zones.
My point is that when you're on the track, you shouldn't be concerned with the items that are most commonly placed in HUDs. Of the itemized functions in the following list, there is nothing - I repeat, nothing - that you need to know while you're out on track. Other than the vehicle warning messages, they represent useless visual clutter and the potential for distraction as the values they display change slightly.

Quote:
Camaro’s Head-Up Display will include:

* Vehicle speed
* Tachometer
* Compass
* Outside air temperature
* Manual Paddle Shift Gear Indicator (if equipped)
* OnStar Turn-by-Turn
* Audio functions
* Phone information
* Selected gear
* Turn signal indicators
* High-beam indicator signal
* Vehicle messages
That said, a pretty good case could be made for HUD of critical vehicle information such as if oil pressure, fluid temperatures, and electrical system condition fall outside their respective proper operating ranges. Just leave these dark until they're called for, which will make them all the more noticeable when it means that there's something you really need to be aware of.

I fully agree that continually looking down at the real gauges in the dash or console during a track session is just begging for trouble. It can be hard enough to do just once a lap depending on the time of day and track layout.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote