View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #7
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by meissen View Post
Interesting read -- I tried telling my dad that he isn't actually shifting his engine when it's in manual mode, but I guess if you're downshifting it to 1st every time you come to a stop, in a way you're still controlling which gear it's in. The only time that this sport mode issue would come into affect would be if you left it in 3rd and came to a stop at a light and then went to take off, you wouldn't take off in 3rd gear - right?

The reason I ask this, is my dad drives my mom's 2012 2LS in the winter and he swears he puts it in manual mode and takes off in 3rd gear.
My understanding of how it works in the 2LS is that the transmission shifts automatically, both up and down, but only up to the maximum gear you choose with the paddles. The only way you could force it to shift with the paddles would be if you selected a lower gear than you were currently in.

Of course, even in manual mode on other trim levels the transmission downshifts for you as you come to a stop. It does not hold a specific gear higher than first when stopped, and you don't HAVE to manually downshift as you slow.

What your dad is likely seeing is that he has selected 3rd as his max gear, giving the 2LS the "range" of 1st to 3rd to use. The DIC displays the max gear the driver selects when in ERS Mode, not the gear the car is currently in.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote