Thread: CAI Benefits
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2011, 02:34 PM   #3
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
We know ZL1 has an improved dual-path intake. I haven't seen any pics', but to me, my guess is the air box has two inlets, instead of SS's single-behind-the-headlight inlet. There doesn't look like there are any resonance chambers in the inlet elbow for restriction, yet... So - that leads me to think:

The biggest benwefit will be true CAI. It would seem that dual inlets should be enough to feed LSA, and with all the aero' treatments (downforce, brake cooling, aux' coolers, etc.), the engine air intake would be taken into consideration, too; come to think of it - that lower tray might integrate into the air system, too... Anyways - keeping the coolest air feeding LSA is going to be as important as any restrictions. As far as restrictions - I can only think of the rubber elbow collapsing, like I've read happens on some CTS-Vs. Replacing the rubber elbow with a metal one (or CF or plastc) would solve that potential problem.

Really - it seems that the biggest concerns I can think of would be a turbulent air box and a pinched elbow. If the air box is smooth (and I', assuming the dual inlets are going to be functional) and elbow won't collapse - I'm not sure how much CAI is going to help in all but the most extreme builds. Lingenfelter and Hennessey (those are the ones I've noticed anyways) have replacement elbows for 'V. Another thing for CA residents is I was just told this last smog visit that the custom metal inlet tube on my '93 truck is not technically smog legal because it can affect IATs... If that's something that could worry you - be warned...

Me - I have to see an OEM ZL1 airbox and complete air intake system to see what I'd do ; it's too early to tell.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Low Side // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote