View Single Post
Old 05-09-2014, 06:05 AM   #1
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
AGP Twin Turbo Adjustable Boost

I have a TT AGP setup with the base turbos. We are still ironing out a few things, but the kit is well done and I love it.

However I want to follow up on my original goals which are this:
  • A modest HP gain for street driving, occasional Autox, and track day. On a track with curves HP does not rule. Also I love taking a cruise in my 1LE so street manners are also important.
  • I also enjoy drag racing which will be mainly Test and Tunes. It is as much a social event as anything else. But here I would like to bump up the boost to 8 pounds or so.
Right now my 1LE is on the lowest WG spring, so most of my low boost goals are met. Power delivery comes in at 2,750 and comes in fairly smooth and easy to control. At least on a warm day with sticky tires.

I have inquired about adjustable boost before and I was told, just get a manual boost controller. Simple. Yea that part is easy. But the tune is not so simple. And correct me if I am wrong but you cannot be adjusting boost that the Camaro engine management system cannot handle. I had a turbo BMW before switching to Camaros, and there you could simply fool the BMW EMS into thinking it was at a high altitude to get a 50 HP boost adjustment. But of course that car was designed for turbos.

My tuner is recommending a Speed Density tune for my 1LE, which makes sense from what I have read. Some other knowledgeable people have told me, "No you don't want that". Confusing.

So I am at a crossroads. For my goals would an improved after market EMS (ECU) also be something I should look into? But these seem to be very expensive.

But also the Speed Density tune itself is not cheap, although my tuner will work with me on this.

So my basic question it this. Would a SD tune and a simple boost controller meet all my goals? I do know I would only be able to set my boost at 4 and 8 pounds with the BC wide open allowing full vacuum (low boost) and restricted vacuum (higher boost) at a certain click on the BC. I can mark that level on the grid with a sharpie.

I also have an AEM Failsafe gauge that I would need to set to warn me if I screw up.

Last edited by Fraxum; 05-09-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote