View Single Post
Old 08-25-2008, 02:24 PM   #110
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhed View Post
I'm disapointed because what you call "an average joe car" is not the camaro, that can be a 350Z, Mustang, etc. The Camaro was the vehicle that Chevrolet engineers were really going to spend their time and effort on to make it right. Just sad that these days 3800lbs is the best we can do with a V-8, IRS, and 1000 air bags. It's more of an industry/safety issue rather than a GM issue.
It is sad that the industry has gotten to this point. We have compacts over 3000 lbs and midzided cars pushing 4000. Safety regulations are now going to conflict with fuel economy regulations, cars will average over 3500 lbs but need to get an average of 35 mpg. Somethings gotta give.

Onto the content of your post . . . what is it that prevents the Camaro from being an 'average joe' car? And based on everything that I've seen and heard, the Chevrolet (and Holden) engineers have spent a lot of time and effort making it right: compare it to the rushed Challenger. ~4200 lbs for 425 hp and a parts bin interior. For nearly $40000, but hit the streets almost a year before the Camaro will. So 3813 lbs and 422 hp at nearly $30 000 with a unique interior for an extra few months of 'getting it right' isn't so bad of a trade off.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote