View Single Post
Old 10-16-2009, 11:02 AM   #23
tom692010
Account Suspended

Drives: 4 wheels
Launching

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantacamaro View Post
Could anyone give me tips/suggestions for how to get a good launch in a manual? like for any situation (drag racing, street racing)...

And what are the differences in the launch when starting from 0 mph compared to a rolling start?

and yes before anyone calls me out on this, i am an inexperienced driver. im only 17 and only been driving a year. however, the only car ive been driving is a manual rx-8, so i know how to drive manual pretty well.

anyways, im just trying to get better driving skills
So now that you have been given all the advice you need to stay alive I'll get back to the original question.

1st if you really want some answers from people who are doing the 1/4 mile there is a topic for that on the forum:
Dragstrip, Tracking, Autocrossing, Driving Techniques Discussions

excellent posts in there for just about every launch you would want to try. I have experimanted with them all and the best for me as far as time was to treat it like you were at a stop light. I roll off until the clutch is fully disengaged and them floor it.
I've tried the 3000 rpm deal and I would say that worked the 2nd best. Just don't pop the clutch out though. Reving over 4000 and popping the clutch brings nothing but tire spin. Under 3000 and you could stall.
The other thing I do is turn the traction and stability controls off. Good luck. Hopefully they have a test and tune night where you live so you can go every week. Out here in Colorado we have Bandimere speedway and it really is a blast.
tom692010 is offline   Reply With Quote