View Single Post
Old 01-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
bad azz z/28

Drives: '94 Camaro Z/28 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by toesuf94 View Post
That is a shame. Unfortunately the alternative was for Sears to drop the Craftsman name all together when companies like Kobalt, Stanley, and Skill have moved off shore years ago and were selling for less. Kobalt I believe is 100% built in China.

With shrinking revenues and rising costs coupled with people with less discretionary income, you either lower your prices to stay competitive or your go out of business.

And I am not pointing at any party - but our "leaders" are not particularly business freindly either. With the tax laws, employee benefits issues, environmental concerns, noise emmission (ever been a mile or so from a forge? LOUD) particulate emmission standards, OSHA, Workers Compensation Laws... raised taxes both local and federal - how can we compete with China/Mexico?
Without getting political, I agree that policies at the top have caused a lot of problems. That said, I wont let sears off the hook for the following:

1. ruining a trusted American brand
2. sneaking chinese goods in under the guise of American made
3. charging American prices without supporting American business

Personally, Id rather see the Craftsman line die than sell out, but my agenda is different from theirs and I understand that. However, we dont know their monetary situation. They could easily be profitable, but not extremely profitable, and are willing to trade long term business for the quick buck. They also could have taken any of the following steps instead:

1. increase the visibility of their lower tool lines as harbor freight has, in order to compete on multiple price points
2. market the difference in the quality of their products more effectively
3. modify their warranty requirements to cut down on losses due to improper use or the common practice of finding old estate sale tools, damaging, returning for new etc
3. been honest to the tool buying community about their intentions and direction
bad azz z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote