View Single Post
Old 01-03-2014, 01:51 PM   #211
Fish-man

Drives: too many to say!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep View Post
In May of 2013 I purchased a Hot Wheel Camaro for my son, and this is going to sound crazy, but he is only one. I wish my dad did that for me and had a cool car to give me when I was 16.

Anyway, I rarely drive it; I only have around 2500 miles on it. Most of the time it just sits in my garage. I have been having trouble keeping air in the tires. One of the tires looses air down to 6 PSI when I let it sit for 30 days. I have taken it to the dealer twice, but since I didn’t buy the tire protection plan they give me a hard time. But, with persistence, they do look at my car for free. I just gave them over $40K, it is the least they can do. They said the tire lost a bead the first time. The second time they said the wheel had a lot of burrs on it and they had to grind them down. I noticed the tire was low again and I have only driven it 5 miles since the last time I was there. We will see if they look at it again.

Is anyone else having this problem?
Can you try a different dealer? Not sure what they mean 'lost a bead'

There are multiple things that can contribute to air loss:
1-tire
..a-foreign object (duh)
..b-crack in the inner liner of the tire (could happen if you hit a pothole)
..c-damage to the bead- could have happened during mounting
..d-burr on the bead -like some flashing or stamping
..e-not seated properly... this would also lead to vibration
2-wheel
..a-porosity in the wheel casting
..b-crack in the wheel (likely on inboard side)-could happen if you hit a pothole
..c-machining error at valve
3-junk stuck between tire and wheel
4-loose or cracked valve stem itself
5-loose valve core inside the stem

If you are able, here is what i might try in your garage, just to prove to yourself:
1-remove tire/wheel and lay it down on a flat and level surface -face up.
2-Using Simple Green.... squirt a little in the bead area where the tire and wheel meet, and over the valve stem area.
3-gently pour some water in over the Simple Green to spread it around some.. not to wash it away
4-Look and wait. give it 10-30 mins if you have to . If there is a leak, it will show teeny tiny bubbles where it originates from... and you should be able to see them move
5-if that didn't work, flip the tire/wheel over (protect the face of the wheel)and repeat step 2-4
6-if you find leaks, use a grease pen or tape to mark where they are-then take it back to the dealer

that works well for bead leaks... you can so similar on the tread, but its a little tougher to to

Hope that can help

Last edited by Fish-man; 01-03-2014 at 03:50 PM.
Fish-man is offline   Reply With Quote