View Single Post
Old 10-26-2013, 10:49 AM   #13741
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
I may be the only one but I have little interest in the "refinement" of a muscle car. The more you spend building a cockpit with switches for heated and cooled seats...the less money you have for performance when trying to slot the car into a price range for your target customer. Let those who want the frills get the caddy, let those who want the 2 seat sports car get the vette, and for those who want the muscle car....the Camaro. If I spill a coke in my Camaro I don't want to have to go to therapy to get over it like I would in an upscale caddy or vette. Make sure it is comfortable, has a decent radio, and put every dime of engineering beyond that into the performance. That is what I want in a muscle car, that is what I want in the NG Camaro.
But here is where the battle lies. If I can buy a Mustang for the same money as a Camaro that rivals the 4 or M4 and the Camaro is lagging (again) in refinement then Camaro sales will tumble. If the sales tumble then the amount of money GM can pile back in is limited and we could be in the death spiral of 2000 again.

For a lot of people it still boils down to how much can I get for my money.

Also a story, Mrs. Number 3 was Marketing Manager on the C5 Corvette. Early clinics were "CUP HOLDERS!!!!!!! NO ONE drinks in my Corvette. Why would I even want one cup holder". But when the car launched one of the biggest complaints was "the cup holders in this car SUCK". LOL.

For the Camaro to succeed, I've always suggested it needs to be the best coupe you can buy...............PERIOD. It should be so good that Honda and Nissan have to quit selling Accord and Altima coupes. And yet it should blow a Mustang into the weeds with ease.

I just look at the Impala. Look how good that car is....................but how good could that car be if it had the Hiper strut front suspension, linked H-arm rear suspension ANNNNNNNND the 3.6L TT engine. It would go from very good to GREAT.