View Single Post
Old 09-09-2009, 10:03 PM   #8
ASTEDA

Drives: 2SS 6M/CGM
Dealerships expect to earn $1500-$2000 on trade-ins to make them worth their time, but they'll do their best to make as much money as possible. If your ride books @ $22,000 and they're offering you $14,500 they can go up on their offer.

The car I traded in booked @ $26,000 and the dealership originally offered me $21,000. When it came time to buy the car they told me my finance options and I simply said that the monthly payment was too much. They eventually gave me $23,000 for my trade- so it is possible.

Dealerships want to use your excitement against you, that's why they wait until they've shown you your car, let you sit in it... and maybe even take it for a quick spin before they take you to the finance officer. BUT... you can use their excitement to sell the car to your advantage also. Come up with an end all, be all monthly payment that's reasonable (one that lets the dealership make at least $4500 on total the sale) and sit down ready to buy the car. When they show you the numbers in the FO's office that's when you say the payment is out of reach.

The Camaro is a tough bird to haggle with though. If you keep it reasonable, the dealership will work to sell the car. If you don't, you'll either end up with a hefty monthly payment or you walk away.

Bottom line is to do what's best for your pocket. I've seen car payments ruin a person's quality of life.
ASTEDA is offline   Reply With Quote