View Single Post
Old 06-15-2010, 11:44 AM   #8
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
There are pros and cons to either. I throw out what I see...

Vinyl
Pros:
-Much cheaper. Usually around 1/3 or the cost.
-If you don't like the color or want to change the look or anything they can be removed.
-If installed by a Pro your everything should be nice and straight.

Cons:
-Won't last as long as paint especially if left outside.
-Some people don't like the fact that you can feel the edge of the vinyl. They want it nice and smooth.
-Possible fadding and cracking over time.

Paint
Pros:
-More permenant. If don't correctly it's the way to go.
-Nice and smooth if clearcoated.

Cons:
-Much more expensive.
-It's a one time shot. If you don't like it for some reason you have to re-do everything.
-No changing of color or design down the road if you want.
-Make sure to have a good painter that knows what they are doing. If the lines are off or if they put the paint on to heavy it can bleed through.

I went with vinyl mostly because of price and the abilty to change the color down the road. I was thinking that i might go with black stripes but now that I've had my white stripes I don't think that's going to happen. The guy I found did a FANTASTIC job. The mail slot was not an issue. Everything lined up perfectly and he even rounded the vinyl over the edges just like paint. I've actually had people in shock that it wasn't painted. Now I think my guy was better than the average vinyl installer but look ask around and you'll find them. I go my custom stripes + gills + visors done for $480 out the door. Couldn't be happier and would absolutley do it all over again.

Here is a pic I came across last week of some painted stripes. Look close at the pin stripes on around the outer edge of the stripe. see how the paint bled through making the edges jagged. Look at how the pin stripes are not straight. If you were to pick up your car from the shop and see this then you'll be having to have them re-do the job and if they do this BS the first time it will probably happen again.
Attached Images

-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote