Thread: HP vs Torque
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2008, 01:11 PM   #22
Dom

Drives: 2000 Z28
I just skimmed over the thread. Here is my take on it. When I had a 4200 stall and 4.10s in my V6 it didn't matter how much less torque I had then a Mustang GT. I had the gear ratio advantage to cover up the low end torque disadvantage. I never saw anything below 4200 from the line and then anything lower then 5000 in 2nd and 3rd. I remember racing one GT. Don't know the mods. I beat him to the 1/8th even though his mph showed 7 more. Then at the end he passed me like I was standing still at much higher mph although my final et was only a few tenths worse. I think that was during my low 14s runs. Best documented run I had was 14.3.

This A6 is geared much higher in 1st then the previous A4. It's almost like you have 4.10s off the line. This will make up for the lack of low end torque. Car has the hp up top to keep up. Does it really matter what torque is over lets say 5k? Remember this engine spins all the way up to 7k. The shifts are close so the shift extensions might keep this car above 5k all the way down the track. I know this is not a performance model, but this engine is really advanced. Just like the previous 3.8 crossed over into mustang GT territory, this 3.6 crosses over into the current mustang GT territory. Last time all I needed was gear/stall to match the 210hp/300ft-lbs GT with my 200hp/225ft-lbs 3.8. This is a similar situation where hp is same but torque is lacking. A6 already provides the high gear form the factory to get this going off the line. If anything a converter will definitely put this in mid 13s. I went from 15.7 to 15.1 by doing a 3.42 to 4.10 swap. Then from 15.1 to 14.9 by doing the intake. Then from 14.9 to 14.3 by doing the 4200 stall. And that's all with 200hp. As you all are aware the mods get magnified with more powerful engines. So to summarize I don't worry about the low torque so much. No one races at 1-2k rpm.