View Single Post
Old 01-28-2012, 08:34 PM   #81
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
PICS OF DURAKOOL INSULATING MATS IN TRUNK

O.k. finally arrived and put them in Friday night Sat morning. The resonated X pipe helped quite a bit with the drone in the 1500-2300 rpm range the Outlaws have, actually reduced the drone renge to 1500-1800.Car sounds smoother and deeper but also a bit more quiet but not alot, just right I think. Also decel popping reduced to a nice level and the start up is more civil also. All and all good result.

The Durakool mats I bought from Jegs. They are 1/4" thick composite vinyl dense fiber cloth with the silver heat resistant foil on one side. This stuff used like duramat and the rest for drone and noise/heat reduction.I got 2 mats 48x72 and spray on adhesive delivered for $115.Whats nice is both mats weigh only 9 lbs total so not alot of weight added to the car.

I threw both into the trunk and took a ride to see if they did anything before I did alot of work. I fired her up and yes I noticed a lower start sound, so far so good. Drove around town and on the freeway in "the zone" and it did diminish the drone a bit and made the car a bit more quiet running through the gears, but not much, which is o.k. as sounds good as is but enough to hear more exhaust and less boom or drone, these Outlaws are loud so anything will help and they still will sound good..the freeway speeds is what I was hoping to notice and I did, enough to make it liveable for some but I would like it a bit less, not quite there yet and with the windows open you can hear the drone and exhaust more now then before I did the x pipe and insulation, and with the windows closed it is more quiet, just the reverse so all this did help. I think though that J ipes or in order but want to wait and see if the x pipe seasons and mellows more before I do those.
The pics you see are the cut pieces glued to the trunk panels under the carpet and in the battery well. Also the ones I attached to the speaker/rear deck support. This didnt do anything for sound but maybe help with the speaker and sound quality.I used the carpet as a template and cut out two mats that shape. These lay down and the carpet go's over them.I did one at first then decided to try two, but dont think the second one did much if at all.I didnt do the trunk walls yet other then the rear wall so not sure if that would help. Will try it later maybe
Time will tell as I need to get used to it all and get some miles on it, Also the Magnaflow x pipe will take some miles to break in so that may help also. All in all the mats helped, not dramatically but enough with the x pipe to reduce the drone to almost livable levels on the freeway but pretty good around town and have a nice sounding and fairly aggressive sound.
Attached Images

Last edited by VR Baron; 01-29-2012 at 07:46 PM.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote