View Single Post
Old 12-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #18
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
The data is in the Experience of over 27 Years in business building Performance Packages.

10 PSI boost is typically NOT doable with a Positive displacement or Turbo on a N/A Stock engine because they both have Peak boost Well before Peak Torque, Where Detonation is Prominent

10 PSI Is common on the Same N/A stock engine with a Centrifugal because Peak boost occurs After Peak Torque RPM where Detonation is not as likely and Higher Peak Power can be achieved.

Ted.
You are talking about the potential for detonation of a turbo/positive displacement vs a centrifugal. And the fact you can easily make more peak boost with a centrifugal... I certainly agree with that... however what I am talking about is a PROPERLY TUNED (NO detonation) setup. Also not talking about which setup makes more power... We were talking about one setup being harder on a motor than the other...

I respect your experience... but where is the hard data showing that a properly tuned turbo/positive displacement is harder on a given motor than a centrifugal... i'm talking hard data, not anecdotal evidence... I've got 30 years of computer experience, but I don't make recommendations based solely on my experience. I run multiple tests, collect and analyze the data and then form my recommendations.... I'm assuming no one here has taken two identical cars, one with say a turbo and one with a centri, strapped them to a dyno, do a controlled set of tests and then tear down the motors to see which motor is showing more wear...

And yes, i would say it may sound reasonable that a centri is easier on a motor, but again, I hate blanket statements without out some kind of concrete evidence to back them up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
If excessive low end power and excessive low end torque are an issue, which most people think of as a huge positive, you can always setup a boost controller to ramp in boost. You could make a turbo act very similar to a centri if you wanted with a decent boost controller if your complaint is too much midrange.

That's basically how the boost on Ford's EcoBoosts are calibrated from the factory... boost comes on almost linearly like a centri... However a good tune will change that and you see some pretty impressive gains in the low end...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote