Thread: driving fast
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2013, 06:59 AM   #11
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by steph09 View Post
where can I drive my car as fast as I want without it being illegal? I really don't want to race anyone just drive it and see what she's got.
At track days you will not be there to race. Your car will have to pass tech - the condition of your tires and brakes being particularly important. You are there to learn how to drive fast safely and you will be driving at a pace that is comfortable for you - do not overestimate yourself here. As a novice there will be an instructor in the car with you. There will be a number of other cars on the track with you and passing situations may occur, but there will be very specific rules in place concerning this.

Virginia International Raceway is probably the closest track to you. NJMP is maybe a half day's drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
Wish there was a race track near me were I could get my Camaro anywhere near top speed.
Depending on whereabouts in NY, Watkins Glen, Pocono (PA), or New Jersey Motorsports Park (Millvile, NJ). The Glen might be a bit intimidating with its Armco being fairly close to the pavement. NJMP's Lightning track has a track day scheduled for November 16th, and cars in the instructed hot laps group could approach 130 mph on the main straight (only 25 mph shy of your 155-ish limiter). I've been above 120 there in a car that has a hundred HP less than yours . . . FWIW, a stock SS will use up about 1000 feet of track accelerating from 125 to 140, and its braking distance will also be lengthened, so short of driving the Nurburgring don't expect to be closing in on 155 mph.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote