View Single Post
Old 11-08-2010, 12:01 AM   #187
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
I know that the 5.0 is great engine compared to the modular 4.6 engines before it but you cannot dismiss the technology that went into the LS based engine's that's in the camaro. Yes ford did a good job but they had no choice, seeing as how gm was already promoting the 400 hp plus then concept camaro.

Ford decided over a decade earlier to go with overhead cam small displacement V8 compared to gm's decision to overhead valve cam in block large displacement V8. We all know the LS engines have a high ceiling for mods to achieve high hp reliable without breaking the bank compared to extracting big hp from ohc engines, you can do it but it will cost you much more. With every thing being equal the mustang's only advantage over the camaro is it's lower weight. That will be resolved with the new 6th Gen. alpha based camaro. Power to weight ratio and being able to hook it up will win you races. I've seen a lot of mustangs at the track running LS engines and not mod motors over the years, they must know something. The LS engines are just as world class as the 5.0 engines, we get it done with more cubes instead of multiple valves and multiple cams.

We can easily and very reasonable make more hp but just remember gm will respond. Remember when the camaro back in the day had more power and was faster than the mustang but the mustang sold more car's. Now the camaro has the style and performance and that is why it is selling more.
Pffft...not die hard Ford racers....

Not sure where you are sourcing your facts...

3rd gen Camaro was < the fox bodied Mustang from '87 to '93. I consider that "back in the day" as that is the generation of cars I grew up with. In fact, I raced both a '85 and '90 Mustang coupe N/A 11 sec. 302 cars and never once came up against a street legal 3rd gen. Camaro that offered any competition. My biggest competitor was the Buick GN. (That is a fantastic car BTW.)

Comparing the '11 Mustang to the 5th gen Camaro shows that the Mustang has the drag strip advantage. $1,500 in mods you can have a 11 sec. Mustang. Not possible in the Camaro. Main reason I switched back. I was looking at $6.5K in mods to get to the same point in the 5th gen.

Looks are subjective. All opinionated and they come and go.

Not taking anything away from the 5th gen. I enjoyed my Camaro and felt it was a good car. In comparison to the 2011 GT at the strip, it just doesn't measure up with regards to performance for $$$.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote