View Single Post
Old 05-08-2014, 10:10 AM   #25
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Yes and no. You can use it with the OEM ZL1 bar, but I don't recommend it.

All main stream automobile manufacturers build understeer into their vehicles for safety and liability. The vast majority of drivers will apply their brakes when a vehicle starts to slide. This is especially true since the introduction of ABS brakes. Stand on the ABS and things will get better with a vehicle that understeers. On a vehicle that oversteers, lifting off the accelerator will make things worse.

Knowing this, a performance driver will opt for a larger than stock rear bar and a smaller than stock front bar ratio setup. This brings the OE understeer to a more neutral or oversteer bias. A 1LE delivers with the same size front and rear tires to deliver a more neutral 5th Gen. The square tire setup makes the 1LE so neutral the OE engineers made the front sway bar larger than the ZL1 to bring back a slight understeer bias. 1LE owners will benefit from the installation of an OE ZL1 front bar. ZL1 owners will benefit from installing a 32mm rear bar with the OEM front bar.

An adjustable front 27mm bar set to soft will function close to a 26mm bar. Pair that with a 32mm rear Z style bar and you have 6mm of 'ovcersteer' bias. A 28mm rear ZL1 / 1LE bar mated to a 23mm front bar is a difference of 5mm. You get the idea.

I am woefully behind on my PMs. I hope this helps about 10 C5 members with pending PMs.
I realize you're an extremely busy man and I really do appreciate the response. I realize going to an aftermarket front sway is ill-advised if I were to stay with an OEM rear. I'm planning on switching out both Sways, however it looks like I can get a Pedder's front, unfortunately I cannot find the Z Spec rear so I would likely have to go with a different brand. Which was what brought me here, do I mix and match (Pedder's front with a different company rear) or for consistency sake, stick with one brand. Not that it really matters that much, but if I go with a solid front and hollow tubing rear I am going to have to take into consideration the OD of the rear sway.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote