View Single Post
Old 01-23-2014, 12:50 PM   #512
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post
Why would the tires matter in recalibrating the suspension anyway? The car sits on top of the springs and shocks, sprung weight. That is what the ECU is reading along with the speed sensors. Just lowering the CG will not affect the Mag ride. If you lower it excessively then you have an issue. I lowered my ZL1 and have had no recalibration issues.
There is a difference between needing recalibrations vs possibly benefitting from them. You don't need to replace regular shocks and struts at 20,000 miles, even though they've lost some damping in that amount of use.

If nothing else, your spring rates almost certainly increased and the wheels are now sitting at different points along their camber curves than they were at when your car's existing calibrations were finalized - even if you returned the cambers to the factory preferred settings. The implication here is that the damping requirements aren't quite the same as when your car was 100% OE. If nothing else, I'd expect the low speed rebound to be a little softer than it really ought to be.

Actually, it's even legitimately possible that you might like the ride quality now better than you did before.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote