View Single Post
Old 10-24-2010, 12:08 PM   #1
Shadowjack

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS RS
rear speaker install (pictures)

Well, I did my rear speaker install, and yes, it's as much of a PITA as everyone says it is! 4 hours in and out ? I took a day and a half, but that was in part waiting for paint to dry on my fabricated speaker mount.

1. Remove the rear seat cushion and back

2. Remove the rocker panel trim.

3. remove the side panel trim (where the armrests are).

4. Remove the window trim.

5. Remove the last peice of side trim (sorry I forgot to grab a picture of this one, you can see the trim piece in picture 3). This involves disconnecting the seat belt. I did not fully remove this peice from the car, but disconnected it and laid it on the floor so I did not have to unhook the seat belts and thread them through the holes.

6. Finally, remove the rear deck and you have access to the speakers.

7. Mount the new speakers. The factory speakers are built such that they hook in on one side and are held down by one screw. This IS NOT a bracket, but the actual speaker itself, so you can't just put your speakers into the bracket and remount the same way. In addition, the holes in the deck for these are too large to allow you to mount 6 X 9s properly with 4 screws. The most you can get is three screws into the deck.

8. Here I fabricated a mount for the fourth mounting hole for the speaker. If you want to use my method, you will need 12 inches of 1/8" steel bar stock. one 6 inch piece for each side. Put them in place and mark the hole, remove and drill, paint (optional) and then insert them as shown below and bolt the speaker to it.

9. Reassemble in reverse order.

PS. Just a picture of the parts pile

Shadowjack is offline   Reply With Quote