View Single Post
Old 06-19-2010, 09:55 PM   #11
bhut

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachocheese View Post
I'd like to say that what other people think doesn't matter, but I admit that plays a role. Mainly I just can't get into the lack of low end power. Don't get me wrong, it scoots once you are above 3K RPMs, but when you ease on the throttle in 5th or 6th gear, it feels very anemic. Let me say that part of my issue is having an auto. When I am cruising along at 45 and go to pass someone, I have about a half second of no power followed by a surge forward as it downshifts. I just doesn't make for confident driving. I suspect that I would not have as much of an issue if I had a manual since I would not be in 5th or 6th much off the highway. I have tried using the tapshift, but it makes me feel like I am playing nintendo while driving.

Has anyone else noticed that the excitement about the V6 is dying down? Seems like at first it was a "high tech, modern" engine that we all thought had huge potential. Now it seems like modifications have very minimal effect on performance and forced induction is seeming like a pipe dream. It probably doesn't help that if you used every available modification for the V6 Camaro (short of nitrous), you could barely keep up with a stock 2011 Mustang V6.

Sorry for the long answer.
I've got the manual, which makes up for the lack of bottom end grunt. I purposely got the manual with the v6 because of the better rear end and the ability to control my own destiny. Want to pass when you're doing 70? I drop it from 6th to 3rd and stand on it. In 3rd, it'll run right to triple digits. Of the people I've had in the passenger seat when the devious angel wispers in my ear and I let 'er rip, no one has told me what a weak-knee'd 6 it is.

FI will become a reality for this engine, even if it takes us waiting on the factory to pull it off. Fuel economy stardards are going to be a big issue, even for hot ticket cars like Camaros, Mustangs and Challengers. I'd expect to see a FI DI 3.6 in the next gen SS, with a v8 reserved for Z28, Corvette and CTS-V duty (lower production numbers).
bhut is offline   Reply With Quote