View Single Post
Old 03-16-2011, 10:57 PM   #32
TheColorBlack

Drives: Black 2011 LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AACstyle View Post
It is your car and you can do what you want with it but I feel a need to express how dangerous this is.

I know you think that putting HID in fog lights will be like a set of headlights but as I mentioned before the output depends strictly on the angle of reflection off of the reflector. These facets are engineered for a very specific purpose.

Headlights are designed to "throw" light down-road while maintaining a cut-off line to not blind other drivers.

Here is an example of a standard low beam driving light:

"Fog" lights are simply auxiliary lights they have no throw but create a "bubble" of light around the car giving you more peripheral. They are intentionally designed not to project far because there is no cut-off line. If they projected far they would blind oncoming traffic.

Example of a normal fog light beam pattern:

So WHY is this a problem? Because you can easily outrun your visible light while driving at night.

By "outrun" I am not saying you are going to travel at the speed of light but rather the vehicle is traveling faster than your reaction time is capable of of stopping the car if, for instance, there is a broken down car in your lane on a dark highway or a kid walks in front of your car on a rural road.

Vehicles are required to illuminate the road furhter than their maximum stopping distance. So not only is this illegal but it is seriously endangering yourself and others.

I am not trying to rain on your parade but this is not my opinion, its fact. I am sorry but this thread is a good example of what not to do to your Camaro.

wow...didnt know headlight throw 470 m. learn something new everyday

But can you even see a dog in the middle of the street 400m away?
TheColorBlack is offline   Reply With Quote