View Single Post
Old 10-07-2010, 12:51 PM   #4
John Shields
"Back in Black"

Drives: '10 1LT/RS Black w/Silver Stripes
We don't have emissions here in Colorado (not in the traditional sense like other states, see below)... unless it's a used car. So, you should be good making modifications to the car and not have to worry about it for a bit. I believe those vans on the side of the road will test you and you're supposed to get hit twice a year. But I doubt that's regulated.

That said, they were juggling the idea of getting rid of emissions all together. Something about it not being a major issue. Last I heard 2010 was the last year... but that may have just been talk. Here's what the Gov site says on the testing:

Quote:
Change of ownership requires a new passing emissions certificate supplied by the seller at the time of the sale. Tests are required for registration renewal when indicated on registration renewal card. Vehicles 1982 and newer will receive a test which is valid for 2 years. Vehicles 1981 and older will receive a test valid for 1 year.
Diesel vehicles are to be tested as follows: Light-duty vehicles with a GVWR of 14,000 lbs or less are exempt from an emissions test if purchased brand new for 4 model years and then tested every year after that. 2003 and older vehicles are tested every year, and 2004 and newer vehicles are tested every other year. Heavy-duty vehicles with a GVWR of 14,001 and more are exempt from an emissions test if purchased brand new for 4 model years and then tested every other year until it reaches its tenth year and then the vehicle needs to be tested every year.
I bought a Jeep used and had it tested once in 5 years. So, I don't think they regulate this like they should.

Per this:

Quote:
Gasoline: As previously noted, if you drive a gasoline-powered vehicle, you may be exempt from testing. Weld, Larimer and El Paso counties do not require testing, however Denver Metro and surrounding areas DO require testing. For those living in Adams county or Arapahoe county, you may or may not be exempt and the best course of action is to call 303-654-6010 (Adams) or 303-795-4500 (Arapahoe) for information. Test for vehicles that are 1981 or older are $15, and for vehicles that are 1982 or newer are $25. Again, testing facilities can be found in the phone book under automotive, or on the Department of Revenue page of the Colorado.gov web page.
That might explain why in Adams I didn't do any testing. I moved to Jefferson County and had it done once about 4 years ago. There's no mention on the couple sites I checked for you about your modification plans.

To the Jerkoff in SW Denver Driving the Black Camaro:
Quit making us look bad by driving like a tool and cutting people off (my wife included)!
John Shields is offline   Reply With Quote