View Single Post
Old 05-10-2009, 06:11 AM   #7
JBsC6

Drives: 2008 Blk C6 Z51 NPP
I'd buy the camaro SS with the L99 and the automatic six speed in a heartbeat..

I don't believe their is a performance penalty with the L99 and the automatic trans..

if anything...the roll on performance is weaker because of the gearing more than anything else..

I haven't driven the new six speed automatick but if you can select the gear and hold it on the highway I'd imagine it would be pretty strong in a roll on at 45 to 60mph..

Usually thats where the automatics get trumped.. but todays new technology is pretty cool..

Plus if someone can reprogram the computer for the automatic trans....it will be even better..

GM's automatic trans are way stronger than you'd expect..Slap a transmission cooler on with a supercharger and I'd imagien if you don't go too nuts the tranny should hold up fine..

Same goes for the manual trans cars.. (Both automatic and manual trans handle an extra 100hp is usually no problem but an extra 200 and or 300 hp and it tends to get to be an reliability issue) but you can either built up well..

Usually street tires can't hook up 600 or 700hp anyway so staying in the 500 or 550 range is smarter from a durability, cost and actual street performance..(on street tires)

I'd say 550 hp should cost about 7 grand installed and ready to go...(s/c) personally I wouldn't do the headers etc..but rather just bolt on a maggie....maybe the alcohol injection system and call it a day.. For the extra 200 bucks you get a 3 year 36K mile drivetrain warranty too..

Fwiw..the automatic tranny is the easier high hp built up...IMO and its faster from a dig..

Enjoy! and good luck

JB