View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010, 03:24 AM   #183
Jake
Go Speed Racer!!!

Drives: Camaro Concept Convertible
Hi Fenwick,

Chevy must think it is competing with BMW or it would not have mentioned in its press release that:

"The Camaro has Better torsional stiffness than BMW's 3-Series Convertible."

I did not make that up, Chevy specifically said that in their press release from the Los Angeles auto show recently.

If you don't think $50,000 to purchase a fully loaded Camaro Convertible is not "paying a lot of money" I don't know what to say.

In my personal opinion, $50,000 is paying a premium for a premium product, and my local Chevrolet dealer must agree, because they want me to pay an extra $5000 premium over sticker price to have the privilege of purchasing a car you don't seem to believe is a premium car.

What's the point of a Cadillac? I imagine it depends on who you ask. I am certain if you spoke with the design, marketing, and engineering team that worked on the 1959 Cadillac, they would give us quite a different answer than the Cadillac team that worked on the 1982 Cadillac Cimarron.

Obviously GMC had too many brands and models that confused the consumer so they closed down and discontinued many of them. Personally I don't think Cadillac should be striving for a higher level of design, comfort and manufacturing excellence. I think all General Motors brands should pursue absolute excellence.

My point is that I think the Chevy Camaro is an amazing car, but I believe GM cut a few corners they should not have.

Happy Holidays,

Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
There's a reason we have a brand structure in place. If Chevrolet decides to build a car that competes with the 3-series then what's the point of Cadillac?

It's easy for all of you to say, "Oh, why can't GM just design this cover, it would only cost us a few thousand more, BMW does it so why can't GM?" What both of you are missing is that BMW could not care less how much it costs to engineer a part because their customers are accustomed to paying a lot for a car which pays for that engineering. GM, on the other hand, has to worry about that problem, especially with the Chevrolet brand.

The bottom line is that no Camaro competes with any BMWs. That isn't the point of the car. Having seen the car in person, it looks fine without a cover.

Designer for BulletTrain at www.BulletTrain.com and Editor & Publisher of Jake's Rolex World Magazine located at www.RolexMagazine.com
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote