View Single Post
Old 07-14-2010, 01:10 PM   #297
wylde1
I am the Stig

Drives: Black w/ IOM stripe 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I'd like to see proof of the quality of the build. I won't argue the quality of materials and amenities in most cases, but I humbly question factual evidence of build quality

In all honesty Mercs have a terrible reputation for being in the shop all the time, as well as other "high end" manufacturers from Europe.

Some are built rock solid, others not. Just like NA vehicles. US auto makers painted themselves with the "unreliable, shoddily built" brush for the last while but they have been awaken (I hope) to the quality issue. Ford has done very well in Europe as well as GM subsidiarys. There are a surprising amount of vehicles in Europe that are wearing different clothes but are GM underneath. And somehow those are seen as built of better quality. Doesn't make sense to me. Alot of it are pre-conceived notions and stereotypes.

of course the Camaro lost the "comparison" if you call it that to a car double the price. Just because it has the same displacement engine doesn't mean it's in the same league. What I find funny is that in alot of review's like this they'll compare 2 cars of similar $ value and take huge marks off for one being 4-5k more than the other (i.e. the 4-door maserati, porsche, aston comparison this week) but in this case DOUBLE the price didn't seem to be the problem

That said, I love Top Gear and have every episode of every season on my external hard drive. If you know what they're about, this review makes perfect sense for their M.O. If they'd have reviewed the Camaro by itself indepth, Hammond would have loved it and Clarkson would have hated it. That's just the way it goes.

"Ambitious, but rubbish" is how their stuff usually turns out as they say. haha