Thread: 1LE?
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009, 03:43 PM   #36
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
The "fascination" with V6 cars, as mentioned earlier in this thread, comes from GM's NEED to better promote V6 sales...

A "modern" 1LE based on the V6 would answer the true heritage question/example: 1967 Z28s were neither the quickest nor fastest Model offered...but were DEFINITELY THE MOST "fun" to actually drive. THAT was the car that the "legend" was created from... It was a "basic" car with a rev-happy-but-relatively-torqueless engine and better brakes/handling, for a "budget" price. Something an LS/LT w/RS and Brembos/bars would suitably provide, inexpen$ively.

Fuel savings and insurance rates would "seal the deal"...
Which could just be accomplished by stripping a 1SS (as if it isnt stripped enough) but the difference between a 1SS and 1LT is literally the engine, wheels, brakes, and suspension, all things youd want in a 1LE (altho the wheels are like lead bricks, I'd install something lighter). Otherwise you have the spoiler and nose, which is barely any savings, there was a lot more body differences in the old cars, and huge amounts of equipment differences none of which exist now. I question the fascination with the V6 nose because you gain nothing otehr than it looking like a lower model, theres no weight savings, nothing.

JMO a 1SS stripped down would make an excellent start to a 1LE, it would retain the brand identification of the V8 with the SS nose, but be lighter than all and therefore a great base to start from....

You can't get away from the insurance rates, the car would still be rated based ont he fact theres a V8 under the hood. Insurance companies are far wiser than they were many years ago.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote