View Single Post
Old 11-17-2009, 10:27 PM   #24
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Z/28Camaro View Post
the GT500 is not closer to the SS than this. the GT500 puts out around 540 horses and 510 ft-lbs of torque and the SLP, 575 hp with 550 ft-lbs
Engine specs are not the same as performance. Maybe some buy a 500+ hp car to simply have a 500+hp car, but most expect it to actually accelerate quickly. They got 0-60 time of 3.8s, this is a crew that got a 5.0 out of an SS. Given that level of driving, I'd say they would have gotten a 4.5 out of a GT500.

Then there is 1/4 mile. 11.8 in this car, 13.3 in the SS. Again, these guys clearly aren't the best drivers around so add a couple tenths to the 12.3s Ford quotes for the GT500 and you're looking at 12.5, maybe 12.6s. So it splits the difference in the 1/4 mile, maybe a tenth closer to the ZL575. Yeah yeah, speculation. But if they have a hard time launching the Camaro SS, they'll have an awful time with the GT500. But I still gave them a handicap equivalent to the SS, even though its just as likely to be worse.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote