View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 08:59 PM   #4676
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
so i'm driving home today & as my teeth are about to rattle out, i hear a clunk/thud-type sound followed by the most terrible racket & shaking ever. i thought "oh great, the tread's separated" as i notice something bouncing behind me through the warbled image in my side mirror.

i pull over to the side of the road to inspect... all tires look fine. next i crawled under to check & the left rear ain't got no weights. that'd explain the bouncing object (or so it'd seem), so i got back in & crawled to the next exit to pull into a parking lot & further inspect when lo & behold as i'm sitting at the light slowly letting the clutch out, another clunk happens, but this time the truck don't move. now to get out in the middle of the road and crawl under the truck, i see my driveshaft laying on the ground in front the diff... both caps from the diff end gone with the clamps still in place & some serious gouge marks.

being somewhat mechanically-minded, i thought for a second & put the shaft in the bed then used my second floor shifter to create the only front-wheel-drive truck in town and putted home down the back roads.

now what would cause a new (replaced last Jan) u-joint to separate like that? it moved freely by hand & had plenty of grease where the caps used to be.
...or do you think it might be in the diff? it rolled home relatively smooth.
Manufacturing defect? My center bearing did it from the factory. Was it easily more smooth? Sounds like it's no coincidence.