View Single Post
Old 07-14-2009, 10:57 PM   #3
five-oh

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Victory Red
I've done a little research on this and what I've heard is that today's oils are so good compared to where they were years ago that changing oil at 3,000 miles is nothing more than a waste of money. By changing the oil so soon, the oil never actually "breaks in" to its maximum viscosity. With longer, even lifetime, powertrain warranties I don't think the manufacturers would be calling for such long intervals if they didn't feel confident in the abilities of today's oil. The manual on my work Impala specifically says not to change the oil until the monitor indicates to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trm0002 View Post
If I did that, I'd be going almost 15,000 miles between oil changes. What's up with that? I have over 1600 miles on the car since the last (first) oil change and the oil life monitor tells me I have 89% remaining. There is NO WAY I will be going another 13k+ miles, much less 3k miles before it's changed again. Is the monitoring system really worth a damn? Is GM crazy enough to really stand behind their warranty if someone doesn't change their oil for 12,14,16k miles based on the monitoring system? Just curious. You guys seeing crazy numbers like that?
five-oh is offline   Reply With Quote