View Single Post
Old 04-08-2014, 11:47 AM   #10
Xp0gam3r

Drives: '15 2SS 1LE; '10 2LT RS
Quote:
I'm not trying to get into an Android vs Apple fan boy war here, but this is a terrible idea considering Android dominates the market on the number of phones sold. This would lock out the majority of Chevy owners if they went with Apple. I think they need to work on solutions that can work with all phones.
Quote:
This. Apple is by far the worst company to go for a tied OS integration into a car IMO. Google and Microsoft are by far the best options as their share of the market is ever expanding and are the two companies with the most continual growth potential, as they both own Search Engines and can generate revenue outside of their OS market. Not to mention that Microsoft and Google are ever competing in EVERYTHING (Google is more scared of MS than Apple), more so than with Apple, as they have very like "services" and Apple is behind the curve in a lot of things.

Just because iOS is cool now, doesn't mean it will be in a year or 2 years when this gets implemented into cars, or their apps be functional (Apple maps has a huge amounts of bugs still). In "every day" cars like Chevy's I see more reason to put in an adaptable OS that has more features plus accurate/tested and capability (Google/Bing maps, Google/Bing search, cloud storage, etc...).

In cars like Ferrari that are more garage queens, not every day cars, its alright to have a "fashionable" OS because the cars are pretty much that to people, "fashionable accessories."

Think GM is completely shooting themselves in the foot if they adapt an Apple OS for their in-car activity.
Look up how the market share is broken down and what percentage of "$0" / "free/low-end" android phones make up that big market share they own. If I remember correctly from last years stats, 92% of the whole Anrdoid market share is dominated by the cheaper/free phones which are not in the same league as the Android super/smart phones.

Apple still dominates the super/smart phone industry.

The problem with iOS vs Android is, Android allows you to do anything, and almost 99% of Android users use the same functionality as the standard on iOS. So Apple just keeps their OS clean, rule of thumb for UI/UX designers, which Apple abides by.

As for car integration, there is no "right" or "wrong" way to go about it. iOS is far more stable than Android OS. Reason being is that iOS is more restricted, thus more secure to have integrated with your car. How would you feel if you know that given the freedom allowed to do whatever on Android, that it is integrated with your car? Increases chances of errors, malfunctions and issues with your system and car as a whole.

Either way, it's about damn time they started integrating phones capabilities within cars...took them long enough
Xp0gam3r is offline   Reply With Quote