View Single Post
Old 07-06-2009, 10:59 AM   #1
Matt'sSS
From 2 door to 5 door

Drives: C5 Vert->CGM SS RS M6->SRT8 Magnum
Details about PDIM & Bluetooth functionality & upgrading your non C&C car with them

Thank you VERY much to codeman71 for taking the time to answer my questions. Although I personally am going a different route, I thought this information (in an easy to find place ) would be helpful to people (now, and future buyers) looking to add some C&C (Convenience & Connectivity) features to their car that did not come with it. Some of these things have already been brought up, but here's everything I could think of in one easy place.

The PDIM (Personal Data Interface Module I'm guessing?) is what gives you the USB port in your center console that can control your media device (iPod, iPhone, MP3 player, USB storage device). In the cars that come equipped with C&C this PDIM also has Bluetooth (BT) built into it (for A2DP- streaming audio purposes only). However, the GMPP accessory PDIM (also called "Personal Audio Link" on the gm accessory site, here http://www.gm.oeaccessories.com/graffchevrolet/ {example dealer listed, you can choose one local to you}) says nothing about BT capabilities at all.

Codeman71 verified that not only are there 2 different BT radios in the C&C equipped Camaro (one in PDIM for A2DP, one in OnStar for hands free) there are in fact 2 different PDIM modules at GM, so it very well may be possible the accessory store one is not the same as the one from the C&C equipped Camaro since it does not list Bluetooth as a feature. It also sounded like the Camaro was currently the only vehicle that currently has the BT enabled PDIM module.

He also verified that the Bluetooth enabled PDIM is the only part you would need to use A2DP with your factory stereo.

He also verified that for hands free Bluetooth, that BT radio is in the OnStar module, which would be more difficult to replace, and you also would need the hands free steering wheel controls as it is the only way to access the Bluetooth menu on the on star module.

So overall it sounds like adding the USB + A2DP BT would be as simple as buying the correct Camaro specific C&C PDIM from your local Chevy parts department & installing it (I believe under the center console). However adding BT for hands free calling would be a much more involved install, having to swap out the OnStar module (no idea where it is yet) and adding the steering wheel controls (I'm not sure if it's an easy pre-wired plug in, new wiring required, a whole new wheel or what, but would ass-u-me it's pre-wired).

Please feel free to update this as more information becomes available (BT PDIM part #, OnStar Module location & difficulty to replace, addition of steering wheel control details), and hopefully this will help some of you out!

Last edited by Matt'sSS; 07-06-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Matt'sSS is offline   Reply With Quote