View Single Post
Old 05-17-2011, 03:11 PM   #301
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangeruss View Post
The lever is for locking out reverse and park. The button on the handle and the button not seen in the picture (wasn't installed yet) is for locking the torque converter. These performance converters heat up the transmission (this is also why you want a transmission cooler). I honestly don't know the ins and outs, but I know if you don't have a lock up you'll have too much heat and horrible gas mileage. The lockup is for cruising in 4th gear. On a full auto transmission like mine the computer triggers the lockup (at 61mph in my case). In the 4L80 it can't be automatic. The black button on the side of the shifter triggers it. Obviously it could get tiring holding down that lockup button all the time on the freeway, so Owen installed a button next to the shifter for that purpose. You do have to push it again to unlock the converter though or the car will die when you come to a stop (at least I think that's what happens). Speedster could probably explain this better than me.
Nope - you explained it perfectly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
Basically if it's locked and you try to stop it would lurch/bog down and die kind of like not pushing the clutch in before you stop? That would make sense.

Now with it locked, would that make the ratio 1:1 flywheel to 4th gear? Wonder if that's why the RPMs stay up and fuel mileage suffers. I'm just thinking out loud.
Converter Lock = Clutch Engaged

The 4L80E's 3rd gear is 1:1 This is still an overdrive transmission. If it were say a Turbo 400, then 3rd is 1:1 and you get crappier mileage.

As far as stoplights, it is a "double-whammy" with a fully manual tranny. You must both shut off the lockup converter AND put the shift lever back in to first before you try to takeoff again. If not you will smoke the clutches/bands rather quickly and the converter will hate you.

Just 'cause I am a complete retard - the SST has a speed sensor in its transmission computer such that when you go below a speed setting (that we can adjust) it will automagically make sure your TCC and gear are reset.