View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 10:46 AM   #24
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Let me start by saying, I have not ordered a car yet, so I don't really understand people's aggravation due to the waiting process, but I can appreciate the desire to get your car. With that said, I think people are being a bit unrealistic with all the complaining about the pre-order process.

Think about it from a business standpoint. GM would be best served by not having any pre-order process. The car's would generate the most revenue for the dealer network, and ultimately require GM to provide less incentives to the dealers if they did not have a pre-order program. Many people were able to negotiate MSRP for this car before most dealers knew what was coming. Now that the demand is obvious to the dealers, very few are willing to sell the car at sticker price. GM did this program, at their expense, to help build loyal fans and repeat customers. Most people here would have had to fight on ebay to get a car in the first 2-3 months, and virtually none of them would be sold at MSRP.

If the bean counters were truly running GM, they would not be building R6P cars at all right now, because those are sold orders already, and in many cases the dealer is not getting "market value". They would be building dealer lot cars to maximize dealer profit and keep them in the black.

Yes, some people get their car off the lot before others get their R6P cars, but in many cases it is due to somebody backing out of an R6P order, so that person just was in the right place at the right time.

Last thought: I don't understand why people say they have been waiting 7 months for their car. You ordered in October knowing production didn't start until February, and that was pushed back for all cars by a month. So at best, you have been waiting since mid-March, which is only a bit more than 2 months. The time before production was well known ahead of time, so stop counting that as wait time.