View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013, 09:12 AM   #22
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
First, trucks are exempt from the GG Tax and your Jeep is a truck.

Second, the car must have a combined EPA rating of 22.5 MPG to avoid the GG Tax. Less than that and it gets progressively worse. I think as high as $7,700. Either way it starts at over $3,000. For a car that is really low volume and arguably is a very premium sedan Chevy probably said ok. But again, I can read the threads 3 years ago on how Chevy was a big fat fail because an SS cost $3,000 more than a Mustang. It's pretty much that simple. The manual transmission car met the threshold. The automatic, as you would expect, got worse mileage. Hence a special engine, the L99.
Just goes to show how stupid these regulations are. Let's not put a gas guzzler tax on the vehicles that guzzle the most gas e.g. trucks.

Also, the 22.5 number doesn't seem to make sense. According to the stats

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Power...ro&srchtyp=ymm

The combined MPG for the Camaros looks like this:

V6 - 21
L99 - 14
LS3 - 16

This is interesting....I didn't realize there was such a difference between regular and premium gas. According to the chart, the auto will get 18 combined on regular vs 14 on premium.

Anyway, not trying to start an argument...just saying that you'd think GM could've found another way around this. I don't know, make AFM active only in D and not sport mode, something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos@redline-motorsport View Post
If I could get my car/truck to run on 2 cyl and get 50+ mpg, I'd do it. Why do you need 8 cyl at a steady slow cruise?
What's a joke is, deactivating AFM actually got people better MPGs, so what's the point of it anyway? No one really needs 8 cylinders. My point is, I paid for 8 and I want all 8

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote