View Single Post
Old 12-27-2009, 05:13 AM   #20
RandyB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristomones View Post
For anyone who is willing to DYI the door speakers: Word of advice is get speaker mounting adapters!! Because the standard 6 1/2" is too small by about 1/2" aprox. so you need an adapter to fill that gap. Or if there's a 6 3/4 that might work but in my case since I spent 2+ hours trying to figure how I'm going to get around this problem. I hate starting something then finding out I cant finish it other than looking to find some extra parts that may not even be avalible! I took the grill that came w/ the kicker spkrs and drilled holes lining up to the spkrs behind the door panel where the spkers face out. Then screwd the screws thru the face side of grilled panel w/ spkrs in place on the panel using screw fastners to hold the spkrs then popped the door panel back on the door! the only problem with this is you have to make sure you line up centerd on the spkr grill then use the spker grill covers that came with the new spkrs so you can cover the screws that show otherwise paint the screws black. Just an option if You like to DYI!! sorry for the long of it!
Or you can do this:

I gutted the stock speaker and used it to mount the new Alpine 6.5". It looked very good until I added the weather stripping; which is ugly but serves a purpose. I used a Dremel to do this and it was very easy. Of course the factory speaker is ruined, but one could argue that paper-coned $3 piece of crap was ruined the day it was manufactured. While tearing the paper out, I felt like I was getting revenge for the weeks of torture to my ears. There are no speaker adapters available for the camaro yet and I would have just thrown the old speakers out in the trash, so this seemed like the best option. This mounts exactly like the factory speaker and the weather stripping mates to the inside of the door panel.
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote