Thread: Mods to V6
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2009, 02:16 PM   #34
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMaxx View Post
The 6L50 automatic is rated @ 500nm/tq, or about 370lbs/tq flywheel with a max of 5,000lbs GVW. In reality, the holding power is probably closer to 600nm/tq given GM's history of low ratings.

The 650L is a decendent of the 4L60E, and internally pretty close in design with an upgraded pump system and larger input shaft. The 4L60 was put behind the LS1 and LS2 GTO's, which have both a similar weight and final drive as the LLT equiped camaros. The LS2 GTO was rated at 400hp and 400lbs tq at the flywheel... which is kinda funny seeing how the 4L60 is only rated at 360lbs/tq

While the transmission is a point of concern, it is for just about any production car (except a very select few, like the Vipers T56 and V160 getrag box in the supra for example).

Heat and torque kill transmissions. GM's torque management feature takes some of the "shock" between shifts by retarding the timing, so in theory the transmission will be even more resilient than the older units at the expense of some reduction in accelration. Proper cooling is a must regardless of the trans power rating -- anyone who begins to mod the auto platform needs to have a good cooler and possibly deeper pan. I'm curious to find out of the stock tranny PCM will drive the 6L80 series or not... it's not much physically biger, and already fits on the chassis. Might require a driveshaft mod though, tailshaft may be a bit longer than the 50 series...but I digress.

Dropping 100-200lbs from the 1LT/2LT cars is the name of the game first and foremost, then get into the tuning bits. I've got a sinking feeling I'll be shocked when I weigh the 20" rims this weekend
Yep, i was really noticing the torque management system this weekend... Timing was going from 24 or 25 to -10! Shifts were also pretty slow...

One thing I found on my Mustang is to change the tranny fluild well before the recommend interval... And like the S197 Mustang auto, i see my new camaro doesn't have a dip stick for the tranny either...

Yeah... can't even imagine what those rear wheels/tires weigh!
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote